Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Not Forsaken

My heart has been so encouraged recently as I have been reading in John. I have LOVED just soaking in the life of Jesus. In John 14, verse 10, Jesus says that he and the Father are one. That means when I see the love of Jesus, the wisdom of Jesus, the compassion of Jesus---it all shows me what the Father is like as well. And I have seen the PURPOSE of Jesus. He was carrying out the plan of redemption set before the beginning of time. He says in 14:6, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Again, I am blown away at the LOVE of my Savior. And I have really needed to be sitting on that recently. I really believe that when trials come we can so easily believe that God does not love us and that He is not for us. But that is completely opposite of what God's Word says. God purposes trials for our good. He bends then and shapes them to fullfil all that He has lovingly designed for us. And I am really thankful for the Spirit's help in clinging to that truth. When the future looks uncertain and not laid out as clearly as I would like, when I am not sure if my sweet little girl will live when she is born, I still find my rest in my God who KNOWS and is LOVING and WISE in the knowing.

 Here are some thoughts that were encouraging to me from the sermon on Sunday:

 1. "If it were best for us, God would say you will have no more trials. But, that is not what is best for us. What is BEST for us is that God is WITH us in our trials."

 2. "Because God will not forsake you, you will not forsake Him." (It all goes back to God and not to us, right? I LOVE that! It doesn't depend on my strength!)

 3. Spurgeon, on Joshua 1:5, "I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee"
It would be woe to us if Jehovah could fail us; but, as this can never be, the winds of disquietude are laid to sleep in the caverns of divine faithfulness. On no one occasion will the Lord desert us. Happen what may, he will be at our side. Friends drop from us, there help is but an April shower; but God is faithful, Jesus is the same forever, and the Holy Spirit abideth in us. Come, my heart, be calm and hopeful today. Clouds may gather, but the Lord can blow them away. Since God will not fail me, my faith shall not fail; and, as he will not forsake me, neither will I forsake him. Oh for a RESTFUL FAITH!

No comments:

Post a Comment