Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rejoicing

Lately I have found that was becoming bogged down with mommy discouragement. We have one particular area in our little one's life that is not easy....eating! The girl would literally live off of cheerios if I would let her! But, knowing that it is not exacting healthy to only consume cheerios, I have been discouraged with the dinner time battle. But, I am thankful for so many wise moms out there who give advice from experience. I have received so much helpful advice. "No, you are right. It is not ok for her to do that." "Remember it is love to her to instruct her heart, even when it is not easy." Or simply, "I am not sure. I never had that problem with you. But I will be praying!" (that was my mom :) But, one friend's advice was particularly helpful. She said to be my daughter's encourager! To praise her for even the smallest thing she does to obey. After all, it is not the wrath of God that floods me with the desire to obey, but it is knowing his tender love and mercy toward me. That way, when we do discipline her to shepherd her little heart, it is also balanced with knowing we are for her and delight in her obedience (just as our Heavenly Father delights in ours.) So, with those simple words, my whole perspective changed. Now, for even one bite of green beans (which she does like, but may or may not eat from day to day), we do big cheers! Literally, I even got out some pom poms! Instead of thinking, "Lord she took a bite, get her to take another!" Now, I clap my hands, smile really big, and say, "Yay, Cara! You took at bite! See how Jesus helped you obey Mommy! Yay! Thank you, Jesus, for helping Cara listen and obey!" And, Cara loves it. Now, that doesn't mean she always wants to eat the food I give her. She will always choose pizza over a veggie. But, the change is so much more within me.

Lately, I have been meditating on Philippians 4:6-7. What a great reminder. I am not to be anxious. When a challenge arises in parenting I am not to be fretting, but I am to be praying and petitioning my God. And, not with anxious and worrying thoughts, but with thankfulness and trust. My God keeps his promises! If I lay my burdens down with thanksgiving and not anxiety, my heart will be flooded with peace. He promises that! And, I have found it to be true.
Below is an excerpt from C. H. Spurgeon (he is one of my favs!) May it encourage you as it has me.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:4-7

No care, but all prayer. No anxiety, but much joyful communion with God. Carry your desires to the Lord of your life, the guardian of your soul. Go to him with two portions of prayer, and one of fragrant praise. Do not pray doubtfully, but thankfully. Consider that you have your petitions, and therefore thank God for his grace, give him thanks. Hide nothing. Allow no want to lie rankling in your bosom; 'make known your requests.' Run not to man. Go only to your God, the Father of Jesus, who loves you in him.
This shall bring you God's own peace. You shall not be able to understand the peace you shall enjoy. It will enfold you in its infinite embrace. Heart and mind through Christ Jesus shall be steeped in a sea of rest. Come life or death, poverty, pain, slander, you shall dwell in Jesus above every ruffling wind or darkening cloud. Will you not obey his dear command"
Yes, Lord I do believe thee; but, I beseech thee, help mine unbelief."

No comments:

Post a Comment