Friday, October 22, 2010

A Tranquil Heart

"A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot." Proverbs 14: 30

Oh for a tranquil heart! How often my heart is not at peace but filled with unrest. Even this morning as I was having my quiet time, I was filled with worry over a particular matter. And the result...my much needed time with the Savior was spent in battle over sin in my heart and not in drinking in the depths of his sufficiencies. These battles with sin I wage every day. And, thank Jesus, at the end of my quiet time my mind was peaceful and able to understand his truth. I understood that while my mind and heart were worrying away (really, I couldn't even remember what I was reading in the Word), I should have been bowing my heart in prayer before my Lord as I agreed with His good word and claimed his promises. In this there is much rest and peace. There is tranquility.
But, the one who wrote this proverb had something else he was focusing on...the unrest caused by envy. To be honest, I have pridefully thought that I don't struggle with envy that much. Well, thank God he showed me how wrong I was! How often do I envy someone else's circumstances, or hair style, or clothing? How much do I hold myself up to someone else and feel I do not measure up when I should be looking to the unmerited grace God gives me and have a heart of contentment? He knows my needs perfectly and has tailored my life and circumstances to refine me into the image of His Son. I should not expect my life to look exactly like someone else's. God has a specific plan for my life that will bring Him much glory and me much joy. Why should I waste time wanting anything that is different?
So, Father, grant us hearts of tranquility. May we trust that You are wise and good and sufficient for our every need. May we take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ today and be faithful in prayer. Grant to us the grace to "fret not ourselves for it tends only to evil" (Psalm 37:8). May our lives bring glory to your name, and may we find our greatest joy and peace in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment