Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Some words of encouragement from 1 Peter

I have been reading in 1 Peter for the last week and it has been completely refreshing to my soul! I thought I would just share a few of the promises that have encouraged me lately. May they strengthen your spirit as well.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
1 Peter 1:3-5
What riches we have in Christ Jesus! By, and only by, His MERCY he has give us a LIVING HOPE. And, oh how I love the part where He is guarding our faith by His great power. That will certainly stir hope into the faintest of heart---God is using his almighty power to guard our faith. If this is true, then we can never lose faith for He is guarding it! And I am pretty sure that God has never failed at guarding something. ;)

"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is Holy, so be holy in all your conduct," 1 Peter 1:13-16
How lazy I can be! I can so easily be lulled to sleep by the busyness of the day, my own pleasures, and my own hardness of heart. But, seeing that God knows us perfectly, he knows that we will struggle with this and he is guarding us against it. Be prepared for action, be sober minded, set our hope of the grace given in Jesus Christ lest we act as we did before we were saved! How often I forget that there is a battle being waged against my soul. How thankful I am for God urgent reminders and Jesus's sufficient grace.

"Longfor pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation--if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good." 1 Peter 2:2-3
Oh God grant me a longing for your word for in it is life and peace. I have tasted and you are truly good!

"For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly." 1 Peter 2:19
"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21
"Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing." 1 Peter 3:8,9
Why do I think I should not have to endure suffering. If Christ is my example, and he was a man of suffering, surely I should not be surprised when I suffer, no matter how great or small. It even says that we were called to this! So, Lord may be endure sorrows well. May we joyfully follow the example of our Lord. May we have unity of mind, love, sympathy, and be characterized by the humility of Christ. May we always bear the sweet aroma of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment